Year of foundation: 1971
Approx. number of students: 5,300
Period of study: Early October-Mid March; Mid March-End September
MCI partner since: 2013
Augsburg is located in the south-west of Bavaria, Germany. It was a Free Imperial City for over 500 years.
It is a university town and home of the Regierungsbezirk Schwaben and the Bezirk Schwaben. Augsburg is an urban district and home to the institutions of the Landkreis Augsburg. It is the third-largest city in Bavaria (after Munich and Nuremberg) with a population exceeding 280,000 citizens. After Neuss and Trier, Augsburg is Germany's third oldest city, being founded by the Romans as Augusta Vindelicorum, named after the Roman emperor Augustus.
Augsburg is the only German city with its own legal holiday, the Augsburger Hohes Friedensfest, celebrated on August 8 of every year. This gives Augsburg more legal holidays than any other region or city in Germany.
Augsburg was the home of two patrician families that rose to great prominence internationally, replacing the Medicis as Europe's leading bankers, the Fugger and the Welser families.
Hochschule Augsburg — University of Applied Sciences was founded in 1971 while the institutions roots as an art academy go back to 1670. It is one of the largest institutions of its kind in Bavaria. 127 Professors as well as 242 lecturers in 7 faculties are employed there. Currently 36 undergraduate and 12 master courses are offered.
The first institution linked to the university, the "Reichsstädtische Kunstakademie Augsburg", a college for art students, was founded in 1710. In 1833, the "Königlich Polytechnische Schule" was founded, now being a predecessor of the Engineering faculties. Other institutions, namely the "Königliche Industie Schule" (Royal Industrial School), the Augsburg Rudolf Diesel School of Building and Engineering (Academy for Applied Technology) and the Augsburg School of Art and Design can be mentioned as roots of the university. In 1971 the university was officially founded containing a design and an engineering faculty. The other faculties and institutes followed as the university expanded to its current size