Students of Management Center Innsbruck with Austrian citizenship are usually covered by the Austrian Social Security System but have to take the necessary measures for studies or internships abroad.

Foreign students who make plans for an extended stay in Austria are advised to inform themselves about the Austrian insurance system in advance. Under certain circumstances, foreign national health insurances might also pay the costs of medical treatment received in Austria. Further helpful information on the topic is provided, for example, on the Austrian Exchange Service homepage.

A pinboard with a yellow notice on which a drawing of a light bulb was made.

Have you broken an expensive measuring instrument? Run into a glass door at university? Accidentally dropped a computer? Or broken your leg during the University Sports Institute skiing classes?

Don’t worry – at least not about the money! For only 70 Cents, Austrian Student Union members, that includes all regular students, receive extensive accident and liability insurance with the Generali Group, which covers (almost) all accidents and damages which occur within the framework of studying at an Austrian university. The insurance coverage also includes accidents and damages resulting from the attendance of events directly related to your studies, such as e.g. excursions, trips, courses offered by the University Sports Institute, and internships or clinical traineeships.

Details and contacts are provided at:

The European Health Insurance Card is a free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 28 EU countries as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland, under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in the respective country.

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is on the reverse of the Austrian e-card. If you want to use the EHIC function abroad, please make sure to fill in the required information in the boxes provided.

Please note that your e-card is not automatically equipped with a valid EHIC function in all EU and EEA countries.

For further details, please click here.

Student Self-Insurance

If not covered by statutory health insurance, students are entitled to voluntary self-insurance.

For more information, please click here.

Private Health Insurance

It is possible to take out private or travel insurance. The range of benefits differ greatly from one insurance to the other; therefore, it is advisable to enquire about the details in advance. Please make sure to take out insurance that covers medical treatment in the whole of Austria and that provides sufficient coverage for various types of illness and, ideally, also transport back to your home country. In most cases, travel insurance has to be taken out before traveling to foreign countries.

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.