The project "Migration and Care" was initiated to find out whether the integration of people with a migration background into the profession of care is feasible.
The aim is to find out under which conditions, on the one hand, people with a migration background would choose a nursing profession and, on the other hand, what demands are made in this regard by people from the nursing sector. This should enable result-oriented interventions, increase diversity in the nursing profession and compensate nursing staff shortages.
The 15 interviews with people in the care sector and people with a migration background revealed the following: People in the nursing sector seem to be positive regarding the integration of people with a migration background into the nursing profession. However, there are requirements such as a good knowledge of spoken and written German, the Austrian understanding of hygiene and more. The poor image of this profession, racism and global differences in nursing practice and education are challenges. People with a migration background can be educated, consulted, and accompanied to facilitate an entry into the nursing profession. However, the poor framework conditions in the care sector in general are a problem that should be remedied.
- Study Program: Non-profit-, Social- and Health Care Management
- Team: Werner Engelhardt, Klara Nägele, Finja Höcke, Sophie Raifer, Anna Weber
- Supervisor(s): FH-Prof. Dr. Siegfried Walch, FH-Prof. Dr. Nils Mevenkamp, FH-Prof. Dr. Wei Manske-Wang, Dr. phil. Mgr. Vladan Antonovic, Ph. D., Mag. Jolanda Baur
- Partner Organisation: Compass GmbH
- Year project was carried out: 2022
Firstly, we are very grateful to be a part of the process and would like to thank all actors who made contribution to the process. We hope that we can reap the rewards of this hard work and continue to implement the work with similar content.